23 October 2014
News on Sunday
It is a small village in the district of Moka nestled between Nouvelle Decouverte and Saint Julien d’Hotman. It has a population of around three thousand mostly descendants of Indian Indentured labourers.
Read 2423 times
Published in Magazine
Friday, 15 March 2013 11:45 Written by Premita Leelachand
Government has envisioned a sustainable future for Mauritius along the ‘Maurice Ile Durable’ (MID) concept.
Read 1516 times
The first edition of Confluences 2013 was held last week from Thursday 7 to Sunday 10 March at the Swami Vivekananda International Convention Centre (SVICC), Pailles. This international book fair was part of the 45th Independence of Mauritius festivities.
Read 412 times
Friday, 15 March 2013 11:39 Written by News On Sunday
The Supreme Court, having on the bench the Senior Puisne Judge, Keshoe Parsad Matadeen, and Justice David Chan Kan Cheong, has refused to barrister Sanjeev Teeluckdharry, leave to apply for Judicial Review to contest the decision of the chief Justice, Bernard Yeung Sik Yuen, to institute a Disciplinary Committee following a request made of the Attorney General to look into a case of alleged professional misconduct involving the applicant.
Read 850 times
Bearing in mind the more stringent warning applicable in cases of voice identification to which this Court is fully alive, I find that the quality of evidence available is poor as well as unsupported so that it would be most unsafe and insecure to rely on such evidence to find the Prosecution proved under count 2 beyond reasonable doubt.
Read 807 times
Magistrate Niroshinee Ramsoondar sitting at the Intermediate Court has found guilty Tekananand Pochoo, driver of a goods vehicle guilty of involuntary homicide by imprudence causing the death of motorcyclist Louis Marcel Armance but without the intention to kill and convicted the accused to a fine of Rs 50,000 and the impounding of his driver licence for two years.
Read 332 times
Friday, 15 March 2013 11:29 Written by Mumtaz Soogund
With a penchant for the dramatic and the eccentric, Kokoye stands out from the crowd. He is amazing, explosive, dynamic and creative. Dancing, gardening and decorating are some of the ways he channels out his abundant creativity. His specialty though, remains costume-making and wearing them with an air of the carnivalesque. Have a gander and read on!
Read 377 times
Published in People
She is an award-winning poet, performer, radio producer and creative facilitator. Mbali Vilakazi, famous South African writer was in Mauritius last week. She was amongst the delegation of South African writers who were invited to participate in the International Book Fair “Confluences 2013”.
Read 469 times
Published in People
Friday, 15 March 2013 11:23 Written by Yousouf Buglow
In Export Processing Zones (EPZ) around the world, the majority of workers are said to be isolated, denied basic rights, and prohibited from joining unions, which is often in gross violation of national laws and customs.
Read 669 times
Published in Society
News On Sunday Popular Articles
- Miss UOM 2014 – Urvashi Haurheeram : “A magnificent experience”She is not only a beauty queen but also a talented, intelligent young lady. Urvashi Haurheeram was recently crowned the…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in People Be the first to comment! Read 4227 times Read more...
- Electoral Campaign : Key issues at heartThe polling day is yet to be announced but the electoral campaign is in full swing. After the battle of…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 1544 times Read more...
- Sergeant Boojhawon : “The announcement touches the heart of police officers”Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 828 times Read more...
- Université des Mascareignes : Bilingual and double certificationUniversité des Mascareignes (UDM) became the third public university of the country after the UDM Act was passed in 2012.…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in Education Be the first to comment! Read 533 times Read more...
- In the wake of dissolution of the National Assembly : Can the Parliamentary Private Secretaries stay in office?The stand of the government regarding the role of Parliamentary Private Secretaries is still unclear in the wake of the…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 272 times Read more...
- Danielle Selvon : “The country needs people who can tackle its economic woes and social ills”Mrs Marie Danielle Selvon, in the midst of an already rich professional career was called to the bar on 19…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in Interview Be the first to comment! Read 238 times Read more...
- Plaintiff loses against State because of procedural errorThe Intermediate Court having on the bench Magistrate Maryse Panglose-Cala has set aside the plaint with summons entered by Satyaveer…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in Court News Be the first to comment! Read 229 times Read more...
- Forte : a unique touch to your partiesThemed parties are very common in European countries but in Mauritius, we rarely see such parties. Screnika Singh Purmanan has…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 228 times Read more...
- Writ of elections after 2 NovemberThe general elections will most probably be held in the first week of December and the date that is being…Written on Friday, 17 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 223 times Read more...