24 October 2014
News on Sunday
The Ministry of Education has been assigned the role and responsibility to promote effective road safety education in schools and assist in the lifelong education of road users. In this regard, several activities have been introduced in schools since this year.
Read 453 times
Published in Education
Friday, 22 March 2013 15:10 Written by Premita Leelachand
The Mauritius Examinations Syndicate (MES) has announced the introduction of HSC Professional (HSC Pro) on a pilot basis in 2014 on Tuesday. As an alternative to HSC Academic, HSC Pro will cater for non-academic students, preparing them to join the world of work at the end of secondary schooling. It is also hoped that the mismatch between academic and the needs of the labour market will be reduced.
Read 1082 times
Published in Education
Justice Saheed Bhaukaurally and Nirmala Devat sitting on appeal have allowed the appeal lodged by Sun Resorts Ltd and quashed the appellant’s conviction for breach of Section 85 (1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
Read 365 times
Friday, 22 March 2013 15:08 Written by News On Sunday
Justice Benjamin Marie Joseph sitting at the Assises Court has sentenced French national Toma Carlos Pedraza to 14 years’ penal servitude and to a fine of Rs 100,000 after the accused was found guilty of importation of 2,786 subutex tablets.
Read 505 times
Justice Nirmala Devat has set aside the plaint entered by Hamid Auckloo and his wife, Li Ngat Leung, who sought for an order from the Supreme Court for the revocation of the adoption of Jean-Patrick Koo Moy Sing pursuant to Article 363 of the Civil Code.
Read 484 times
Give this lady a rock and she will turn it into an artsy paperweight, give her an empty can and she will rock it as a headgear and give her paper scraps and make it into art she does. Oozing with creativity, Selvina’s deftness lies in creating things out of simple objects. Card making is serious business for her because after all, she is the Queen of Crafts - Our Crafty Queen!
Read 813 times
Published in People
Friday, 22 March 2013 14:54 Written by Jameela Jaddoo
Breast feeding is the most beautiful and most effective way for every mother to love and care for their child. Indeed since the creation of mankind, breast feeding is known to be, by nature, the best food for newborns. Mrs Bina Bonomaully, Breast Feeding Counsellor for nearly twenty years, knows much about the innumerable benefits it holds for both babies and mothers.
Read 928 times
Published in Health
The National Assembly resumes debates on 26 March after more than four months of summer holidays. The main attraction at the first session will be the sitting arrangement of members with the absence of the leader of the Opposition who has ceded his post to the deputy leader of the MMM, Alan Ganoo who however told the media that Bérenger’s seat will not be occupied by another member.
Read 557 times
Published in Parliament
THE CONCEPT of a 24 by 7 economy is a very simple one. Also known as a ‘round-the-clock’ economy, it means that the country’s economic activities are operational on a 24-hour basis, 7 days a week with many activities happening concurrently.
Read 850 times
Published in Society
Friday, 22 March 2013 14:47 Written by News On Sunday
Latest figures from the Bank of Mauritius indicate that Mauritius received about Rs 12.7 billion in terms of Foreign Direct Investment in 2012, a figure not far from the record amount of 2010 (Rs 13.9 billion).
Read 340 times
Published in News
Condé Nast Traveller, an international luxury travel magazine published in Mayfair, London and which aims at the upmarket, independent traveller, has rated The Oberoi Mauritius resort as one of the 14 best world hotels for honeymoon.
Read 502 times
Published in Magazine
The Finance Minister is on alert. Xavier-Luc Duval has urged for more effort from everybody and warned that the year 2013 will not be easy, with climate issues that have affected production in January and February.
Read 216 times
Published in News
News On Sunday Popular Articles
- Stacy Ng See Cheong : The first Miss Supranational MauritiusYoung, beautiful, intelligent and engaged into volunteerism – Mauritius’s first time ever Miss Supranational has it all. Beauty with purpose,…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in People Be the first to comment! Read 70 times Read more...
- Studying in AustraliaThe Australian High Commission staff and Australian Alumni of Mauritius were present at the Australian booth at the Salon du…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 45 times Read more...
- Real fun and enjoyment : Azarine ActivitiesLocated in Roches Noires, in the northern part of Mauritius, Azuri is a wonderfully designed ocean front village. It is…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in Magazine Be the first to comment! Read 36 times Read more...
- Aisha Allee : From air hostess to Entrepreneur of the YearThe Managing Director of Blast Communications, Aisha Allee, who started her career as an air hostess ten years back, won…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in People Be the first to comment! Read 33 times Read more...
- The Second RepublicThe Second Republic, a salient feature of the Labour/MMM electoral agreement, seems to be totally absent from political debates. While…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 19 times Read more...
- Keshav Padaruth : Young and AchievingYoung, intelligent, handsome and successful… Keshav Padaruth is the example of someone who dreamt to make it big early and…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in People Be the first to comment! Read 17 times Read more...
- General Elections : Critical week for political leadersThe coming week will be very critical for leaders of the two main alliances. By hook or by crook, they…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 11 times Read more...
- ACIM says no to light rail projectThe ‘Association des Consommateurs de l’ile Maurice’ (ACIM) claims the light rail project will not be viable and will not…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 10 times Read more...
- Fakriddine Abdoulhalik : “The Indian Ocean Market of 26 million potential customers should expand into Africa”The 10th Economic Forum of the Indian Ocean Islands (FEIOI), takes place in Moroni Comoros this weekend, 23-25 October 2014.…Written on Friday, 24 October 2014 14:00 in Interview Be the first to comment! Read 9 times Read more...