27 August 2014
News on Sunday
Friday, 01 August 2014 14:00 Written by News On Sunday
‘They were young and naive and did not make good impression on people’ said Mike Markkula about Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, the two legendary co-founders of Apple Computers when he was brought in by Don Valentine, Silicon Valley venture capitalist to be the company’s first CEO.
Read 266 times
Friday, 01 August 2014 14:00 Written by Premita Leelachand
Her ambitions were sky high when she was still very young but little did she know that one day her dreams would turn into reality. Shanen Ganapathee, 20, will soon commence her second year as an undergraduate student at Duke University in the States. As of now, she is making her parents proud and her feats will surely make her country, Mauritius, proud of her in the future.
Read 344 times
Published in People
“Always aim for the moon; even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars,” are the beliefs of the 25-year old Ashesh who is a well known figure in the field of drama. It is said that some are born leaders but Ashesh is a born actor. An ex-student of the Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, he has acted in different plays and has won several awards so far. His dream is to bring new blood to the field of, and having theatre artists breaking into the world of cinema.
Read 394 times
Published in People
Friday, 01 August 2014 14:00 Written by News On Sunday
“In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce. The trick is to find and continue to find grounds for marriage,” declared Robert Anderson. But sadly, nowadays, we are witnessing high divorce rate among newlyweds couples. The question remains, why do young people divorce?
Read 1769 times
Published in Society
Friday, 25 July 2014 17:00 Written by News On Sunday
Parti Justice Sociale, The Liberals, Muvman Liberater, Ensam Nu Kapav, Union Populaire, etc. Our political landscape has recently witnessed an unprecedented emergence of new political parties. All of them urge for a complete change and/or a revolution. Adhering to existing political parties was never an option for the new leaders who reiterate their willpower to listen to unheard sections of the society for the interest of the country. Only one new party, the Muvman Liberater, is in favour of an alliance with any mainstream party.
Read 1225 times
Friday, 25 July 2014 14:00
Ashit Gungah : ‘The population has already made its choice as to the next government that will take care of the country’Written by Indradev Curpen
Ashit Gungah is the secretary general (Administration) of the Mouvement Socialiste Militant (MSM). He is the First Member for Grand Baie/Poudre d’Or. 53 years old, Ashit Gungah is an engineer by profession and started in politics at an early age. He became active since 1995 and stood for elections in 2000 and he was elected. He was again elected in Constituency No 6 in 2005 and in 2010. News on Sunday asked him about the current workings of our Parliament and whether it is impacting negatively on the minds of the population.
Read 314 times
Published in Interview
Friday, 25 July 2014 14:00 Written by News On Sunday
Following the concern created by the confusion that took place during the last horseracing day at the Champs de Mars on Saturday 19 July, News on Sunday asked Shan Ip, the Head of Marketing and Communications of the Mauritius Turf Club for some clarification.
Read 559 times
The Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) launched its 2014 report last Friday. The Report, which highlights the work accomplished by the EOC since its creation in 2012, is a compilation of statistics and case studies, research and recommendations, complaints and enquiries.
Read 108 times
Prime minister Dr Navin Ramgoolam called upon the newly recruited police constables to be honest and show integrity in their day to day work without any fear or favour, which according to him, is the only way to deal with any problem in the country.
Read 131 times
Friday, 25 July 2014 14:00 Written by Jameela Jaddoo
Fans of ‘Tikoulou’ may get ready for the first ever musical show of the Mauritian hero taking place in September at MGI, Moka. The hero of the comic book series ‘Les Aventures de Tikoulou’, will make you travel to a wonderland for one and a half hour together with his friends Kasskott, Gromarto, Matapan and Dimoune. Tickets for the show are on sale as from this Friday 25th July on Rezo Otayo.
Read 140 times
The National Assembly met in session on Tuesday 22 July with Honourable Deputy Speaker, Pradeep Peetumber in the chair. On the agenda were two Bills- the Professional Land Surveyors’ Council Bill and the Mauritius Cane Industry Authority (Amendment) Bill; a Private Notice Question by the Leader of the Opposition on the Light Rail Transit System Project (Metro Leger) addressed to the Vice Prime Minister, Minister of Public Infrastructure, National Development Unit, Land Transport and Shipping, Questions to the Prime Minister and Questions to Ministers.
Read 398 times
News On Sunday Popular Articles
- The Dollar EnigmaEhshan Kodarbux, director of Le Défi Media Group, recently attended the summer school at the London School of Economics, more…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 14:10 in News Be the first to comment! Read 1151 times Read more...
- Public/Private Life of Politicians : Where to draw the line?The publication in the press of pictures of a private party attended by the Prime Minister Dr Navin Ramgoolam has…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 14:05 in News Be the first to comment! Read 1064 times Read more...
- Ebola: high security measures in MauritiusThe Ebola epidemic being called the most violent since its discovery in 1976, causing more than 1,000 deaths, the World…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 635 times Read more...
- Our youth : A tragedy of depression and phobias Adolescence is a period of dramatic and drastic changes. The journey from childhood to adulthood can be complex and challenging.…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 13:59 in Education Be the first to comment! Read 444 times Read more...
- Film Rebate Scheme : Developing a cinema industry in MauritiusAs Mauritius emerges as one of the most sophisticated and diversified economies in the region, film production on the island…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 13:57 in News Be the first to comment! Read 397 times Read more...
- Vinay Narrainen : ‘50,000 young Mauritians have benefited from the Duke of Edinburgh Award’International Youth Day was celebrated on 12 August, as designated by the United Nations General Assembly in 1999. It is…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 13:55 in Interview Be the first to comment! Read 378 times Read more...
- Jessyca Joyekurun : How YALI changed her lifeJessyca Joyekurun recently returned to Mauritius after spending six weeks on a Business and Entrepreneurship Executive course at Yale University,…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 14:00 in People Be the first to comment! Read 342 times Read more...
- Holiday camps for special needs childrenAn inclusive holiday camp was organised by the Down Syndrome Association (DSA) and U-link for children with special needs. The…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 263 times Read more...
- Post Code for MauritiusThe Post Code, existing in many countries since ages, has been recently introduced in Mauritius. Now every town or city…Written on Friday, 22 August 2014 14:00 in News Be the first to comment! Read 236 times Read more...